Stopping to Smell the Coffee Beans

...

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Social Spotting: We,The Pizza

{me being a stink... i was cranky + hungry waiting for my five slicessss!!!!}


Dear top trouser button,
Brace yourself.

Spike Mendelsohn (or as I call him, the "fedora Top Chef guy") finally opened his NY-style pizza joint We, The Pizza on Capitol Hill this week and it's about freakin' time.

Originally set to open in mid-April, District folks were forced to practice patients in order to sink their chomps into the 9inch slices, baked in a deck oven. Two months later, Spike was throwing dough in the window and crowds gathered at Third and Pennsylvania, next door to his Good Stuff Eatery. (mmm... Sriracha mayo)

Upon walking in you are greeted by standout selection of different pizza slices, some traditional, a lot vegetarian and some very... Spike. If you know his cooking style you already know he puts a huge emphasis of farm-fresh ingredients; the pie slices are decked out in colorful veggies, fresh cheeses and homemade meats.

I wasn't sure which one I wanted to try first so I ordered 5 slices. Yes, 5!
  • White Pie (for cheese lovers: covered in ricotta, fontina, Parmesan, mozzarella, sea salt, olive oil, parsley, garlic)
  • Mushroom Pie with truffle oil (soooo goood)
  • Buffalo Chicken Pie
  • Homemade Sausage and Peppers Pie
  • Potatoe Prosciutto Pie
The winner for me was the Mushroom Pie, followed by the Potatoe Proscutto Pie. Mouthwatering! My only complaint is that the buffalo chicken pie didn't have nearly enough buffalo sauce.

We, The Pizza,
303 Pennsylvania Avenue Southeast Washington, DC 20003-1148 - (202) 544-4008

Chef:
Spike Mendelsohn
Bonus: Hand-made old fashioned soda station. Cream soda and ginger ale for the win!
Rating: 4 Sporks (Out of 5, yowza!)


ps. my red, white and blue dress is actually a vintage swimsuit! Funny, right? Love it!


2 comments:

Legs said...

I am so jealous, I cannot even begin to explain. I think me and the girls are going to head over there on Sat. night if you're still in town and ready for round 2. ;) Btw, you look adorable!!

... said...

Thanks love :) Saturday doesn't work for me, I have a date! haha.

However, I realllllyyyy need DC girlfriends so next girlsnight I am in!! I'm here for two weeks :) Plus, we need to go shoe shopping, you apparently have the best shoes in town!