Stopping to Smell the Coffee Beans

...

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Big Primpin': letting Your Hair Down with the Boy.

:
tunes: Distance by Kaskade

Sure I'd rather have Nick believe that I wake up looking fresh and fabulous but that's just silly.

Ever since Nick and i first started dating I've been very open and honest with him about my looks. Confused? Let me explain.

I have acne, a lazy-ish eye and my legs get 5 o'clock shadow post shave. All true and embraced.

On December 31, 2007 I resolved that I would no longer be insecure about those issues (or at least work on it) and start to love my acne prone skin no matter how oily it got. Then I met Nick 16 days later. Ugh.

This was a test.
An awful test that I was about to ACE!

I could do this. No cover-ups, no powdering; I wanted to be as real as I could with him. (yes I used to be the asshole who would powder her nose before going to the gym like an idiot).

So I did the unthinkable: I washed my face completely before Nick came over to watch a movie. If this doesn't sound terrifying to you than you have good skin but for someone like me this is brutal. I was prepared to be dumped on the spot. My face was shiny, RED and RED.

This ended up being the best thing I've ever done.

From that moment forward I didn't feel "pressure" to be picture perfect for him or anyone else for that matter. Of course I love primping and taking care of myself but I've never felt I had to keep up with a certain status quo.
Honestly, Nick didn't even seem to notice my flaws. Or he could of just been polite, I don't know. I do know that we kissed a lot that night.

So... with that, try and forgive your flaws and move on.
Primp for the fun of it!



xoxox

9 comments:

Juliana said...

i.. still.. cannot do that.

bless you, bless you.

... said...

Haha! Juliana it's scary!


You can do it tho ;)

Legs said...

Complete cuteness! :)

Katie said...

Good for you! I've always struggled with acne, and I know how hard it is sometimes to just let people see my skin. And I think in general, the impulse not to make yourself look absolutely perfect every time you see the new person you're dating is hard to ignore. On the whole, though, I think it's a smart policy. If your relationship has staying power, he's eventually going to see you sans make-up and recent shave anyhow...and so much worse! :)

... said...

Katie, you are so cute. And yes, if the relationship lasts they will see you with the stomach flu {as yours did last week!} are you feeling better btw? Ugh.. brutal!

xox

Rebecca said...

Ooh, you are brave! I have terrible skin and don't even like my friends to see me without full makeup, much less a boy I like! =P Good job. =)

Shawn Tina said...

i can't speak to the letting yourself be authentic with the fellows part of this post, because i'm still actively working on that. ok that was a lie. no i'm not. one day, mayybe. but i'm loving the over-sized pink rollers!

Shawn Tina said...

i can't speak to the letting yourself be authentic with fellows part of this, because i'm still actively working on that. ok. that was a lie. one day, mayyybe. more power to ya lady. i'm loving the over-sized pink rollers.

... said...

Shawni, you can do it girl! youa re gorge! Aren't the rollers hysterical?