Stopping to Smell the Coffee Beans

...

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Grown Up Pop Tart!



If you were a child in the 80's like Nick and I then you most definately know and LOVE Pop Tarts. I distinctively remember grocery shopping with my mom back in '89 (the only reason why I remember the years is because it was when we moved from Texas to Detroit -ha I was just 4.) and begging my mom to by me Pop Tarts (Strawberry frosted, duh!) and she said NO! Ha!

My mother is an amazingly smart woman who raised my brother and I on all natural foods -- we weren't even allowed to eat food coloring! Love her for it now but at the time I found it so frustrating! However, I knew which friends parent's allowed these amazingly delicious pastry pies in their home. And I made sure to eat them whenever I could. I liked them super hott; burnt around the edges and piping hot in the inside.

Well, fast forward 20 years and Nick and I found ourselves brunching at Southport Grocery & Cafe and found spotted the Grown Up Pop Tart on the menu. YUM YUM YUM. Fluffy pastry dough filled with warm berry preserves, marsapone cheese and roasted vanilla walnuts. Simply heaven.

I could eat this everyday. It's almost worth the 75 extra pounds.

No comments: