Stopping to Smell the Coffee Beans

...

Friday, January 8, 2010

Friday: Spork Reader's Stories!

dish: Peanut Butter Toffee Cookies
tunes: Better Together by Jack Johnson



This is a very special long distance couple. My best friend @Alipaul is one of the most beautiful, talented, funny and imaginative people I have ever met. I fell in love with her the moment we first talked. (Beach party in the dorms!). She is in a wonderful relationship with Steve who is in Afghanistan right now. They send eachother letters, emails and photo images. She also bakes him cookies, and what really melts my heart is, she babysits his dog Drake and sends him photos of his babyboy!


ali's words.

"long distance love is what you make of it. lucky for me, i have the
most amazing boyfriend. He makes me smile from a million miles away
and makes me a better person every single day.

Distance forces you to learn about the other person in a way that can
not be done in person. From the 133...34...35 letters I've sent him to
the countless emails we've traded, it's really quite amazing to have
such a large part of a relationship documented in this way. (In all
honesty, some of the letters were more like pictures of my
thoughts...random doodles...handwritten 'faux-texts)...maybe one day
I'll go back and read these goofy bits of our history.

seeing how i wouldn't be a proper military girlfriend if I didn't get
my bake on
...I've become quite the baker. I myself, don't care for
sweets, but I needed to find a way to focus my attention on things
other than missing him and thinking about ...

So here is is, peanut butter toffee cookies from the queen of crafts,
Martha Stewart.

enjoy."

Peanut Butter Toffee Cookies
by @marthastewart


Ingredients

Makes 24

* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for fingertips
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (that's important!!!)
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
* 1 large egg
* 2 chocolate-covered toffee candy bars (1.4 ounces each), chopped

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour,
baking soda, and salt.
2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat
butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add peanut butter and egg;
beat until smooth. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture.
Stir in toffee.
3. Using 1 level tablespoon batter per cookie, drop onto baking
sheets, about 1 inch apart; flatten slightly with floured fingertips.
Bake until edges are golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes, rotating sheets
halfway through. Transfer cookies immediately to a wire rack to cool
completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, up to
2 days.



Yes I know I am very lucky to have a best friend who is also in a long-distance relationship. We get to confide with each other, cry with each other, laugh with eachother and get creative together. Another funny thing is, Ali and I are now in a long-distance relationship with eachother. After living 2 blocks away from each other for 4-years, she moved to Indy. Now we have iChat dates with each other as well!



I love you @alipaul

No comments: